I couldn't get rid of the "Start Savin" malware extension that I found in Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 machine.
I tried several different recommendations before trying my own method. Therefore, I may have already done a partial removal job. Here is how I got rid of the rest:
- Searched the hard drive for all occurrences of the name, and found three folders. One was in appdata, another in program files, and a third in an innocuous looking folder inside "My documents"
- Deleted the three folders
- Kicked off "ccleaner"--> tools --> startup --> internet explorer tab
- Deleted the two instances of Start Savin in the "internet explorer" tab
- Also looked in the ccleaner tab called "scheduled tasks" (don't remember if I found an occurrence or not but would have deleted if I did)
- Run a full registry cleanup in ccleaner
- Reboot and do a thorough check and some antimalwarescans just to be sure it's gone