So yesterday I bought my brand new Android. It's an LG G4. Coincidentally, I got an email from Lookout suggesting that I install Stagefright on my phone. So I did.
Stagefright informs me that my phone is vulnerable, and that it recommends disabling autor-retrieval of multimedia message (MMS).
I figured out that my default messaging is Message+, (Message Plus). Unfortunately, Stagefright did not supply instructions for how to disable auto-retrieval for Message Plus.
And I didn't find the instructions online either.
Eventually, like a monkey with a typewriter, I figured it out:
- Click on message+
- Click on settings (upper left)
- Scroll down and click on advanced-->settings
- Scroll down and click on advanced settings-->advanced
- Scroll all the way to the bottom
- In teal letters (at least they're teal on my phone) you will see "Multimedia message (MMS) settings"
- Directly below the teal message, you will see auto-retrieve.
- Untick the auto-retrieve box