I was getting this weird error in Quicken 2016 Deluxe which was an annoyance bug.
It was happening to all three of my Citi Cards accounts.
I understand that Citi has withdrawn support for Direct Connect, but I've been using Express Web Connect for a while with no problems. Until recently. Here's what was happening....
When I did a One Step Update, each account threw the OL-295-A indicating that the server rejected the request, yet the update was still successful. Annoying!
In addition, if you try "Update Now" on the individual accounts instead of "One Step Update," the error doesn't occur.
I tried resetting the accounts, but they hung.
Then I noticed, in Account Details-->Online Services, "Your financial institution supports an improved connection. Click here to find out more and get set up." I thought this was curious because the "improved connection" is "Direct Connect," which Citi no longer supports.
After much pain, I discovered that what Quicken really wanted me to do is to keep the "Express Web Connect" but with a different bank name. I don't suggest following the "find out more" link, though. It caused more pain.
Instead, this it what worked:
- I deactivated the account
- I started over by doing "add an account"
- I clicked "credit card"
- Then I typed in "Citibank" instead of "Citi Cards"
- I put in the credentials
- When Quicken found the account, I made sure to link to the existing Quicken account
- That worked. And, happily, it did not redownload dozens of duplicate transactions.
- Also, the message is gone from accounts-->online services