I found a workaround that requires use of the touch screen but once it's set up, it's easy.
- Ask Alexa to open Firefox
- Use the touch screen to open the Plex desktop app in Firefox
- Use the touch screen to pin it as a Firefox tab
- From now on when you ask Alexa to open Firefox, you'll see your tabs, including Plex
- Once inside Plex, you can use the touch screen to select movies
I was excited to learn that my Amazon Echo has a Plex skill. I enabled it, and then asked Alexa to run Plex. Unfortunately, Alexa said that I couldn't do it because Plex is not available outside my network:
Alexa said: Your Plex server appears to be online but remote access is not available.
When I looked in my Plex dashboard, I found this message:
Not available outside your network
So I tried going into my Plex server which is running on an old Windows 10 computer, and set up static IP. This caused the dashboard to show this message:
Fully accessible outside your network
But it still doesn't work.
I still think I need to do something with the router but I don't know what.